Hallie

Posted by Beth-Jo Gewirtz on 7:32 PM


I know she is waiting

it’s late. I’m not home.

She can’t remember when I left

But she knows it was at least ten naps ago!

In the door and she is on me

wagging her tail, as if her butt will wag itself home

I love her too,

but I need a moment to breathe.

Yes yes yes, I missed you too.




Yes yes yes, it’s been such a long time.

Love is relentless tying me to its leash

wagging it’s tail and licking my face.

Ok ok, now, go get your leash





Picture.....from left.....Kota, Jill, Hallie and Bob

2 comments:

Comment by Anonymous on February 16, 2010 at 9:57 PM

This is a very cute poem. Not many people write about their pets. Most poems (at least the ones I have read) are about romantic love or death. The line “Love is relentless tying me to its leash” is a great metaphor comparing love to a leash. Love is wonderful although there are times that it does feel slightly restraining. I also love how you made the reader relate to Hallie when you wrote, “But she knows it was at least ten naps ago!”. By using naps, one can relate as to how a pet can tell time.

 
Comment by Tomas Busch on February 21, 2010 at 7:19 PM

I liked this poem because it reminds me of my dog Tubbs. He is a German Shepard/ Chow mix and he can never say no to food. If I did not watch his diet or prevent everybody from giving him treats he would be as big as a tub. Beautiful poem.

 

Post a Comment