Whitman, Arnold, Yeats and Frost

Posted by Beth-Jo Gewirtz on 8:04 AM

I love Walt Whitman's writing style. The way he uses line breaks so unconventionally and different makes his writing stand out more for me. My eyes don't get so bored. I particularly enjoyed "O Captain, My Captain." When I was younger I went and visited the theater were Lincoln was shot and it's always remained with me. Reading this poem, I could still see the balcony and picture Lincoln being shot and falling.

Reading Yeats, it was easy to see the poetry pattern. A, B, A, B. This being the simplest of patterns, I often refer to it as I'm not a poet. In poetry class, I get marked down for it. I chose this pattern, like Yeats, because it flows freely. When you have the simplest of patterns, it's easier to read and comprehend. In "When You Are Old", he changes it up to A, B, B, A. That's another simple pattern, but this takes a different tone. Sort of like book ends. The line "The darkness drops again; but now I know that twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking candle" is wonderful. "A rocking candle". What is a rocking candle!!

And Robert Frost....who doesn't like Roberts Frost. I think his "Road Not Taken" has to be one of the most famous poems. And "Stopping By...". He uses the A, A, B, A style and I also like that. It makes the words linger in my head a little bit more. The line "the only other sound's the sweep of easy wind and downy flake" is one of my favorites. Easy wind and downy flake!

0 comments:

Post a Comment